At The Sessions – What happens at a Little Wickets Cricket Session?
We run two different Cricket sessions depending on if a child is Preschool age from 2 1/2 (1st Innings) or School age up to Year 2 (2nd Innings). Experienced older kids (Year 3 and above) can join our Big Hitters session before signing up for Kwik Cricket at their local cricket club.
At the Sessions
- The Little Wickets program runs on a weekly basis year round during term.
- The sessions are 45 minutes long
- The sessions are delivered by handpicked, qualified and fully vetted sports coaches
- The venues all have indoor and outdoor facilities, so we’re never a hostage to the weather
- We do ask that parents (or a nominated adult) stay during the sessions
1st Innings – for the pre-school kids (from 2 1/2 years)
The coaches start with some fun warm up games and then introduce some fun skill based activities. The sessions start with some fun warm up games and then introduce some fun skill based activities & games. It’s not a cricket match! The activities all have cricket at their heart and are based on the ‘FUNdamentals of movement’, developing hand eye co-ordination, individual skills and team co-operation. Each session has a particular theme whether it be batting, bowling, catching, throwing or fielding but all of the elements of the sport are incorporated into all the sessions. The coaches always encourage the kids to join in as independently as possible, however, the grown-ups can join in as much or as little as they feel is necessary. Don’t be surprised if the adult level of involvement varies from week to week – that is completely normal (and irrelevant of the kids’ age or experience at Little Wickets!) It may seem a long way off now but it soon comes around and they start school the kids join our slightly larger 2nd innings sessions. In these sessions there is an increased focus on ‘The Spirit of Cricket’, Good sportsmanship. Team work, individual skill development and game play.
Have a look at a 1st Innings session for pre-schoolers
2nd Innings – for the kids who have already started at school to 7 Years old
The sessions are run by one of our experienced, qualfied and fully vetted coaches and a coaching assistant. The coaches start with some fun warm up games and then introduce skill based activities. The activities all have cricket as the theme and are based on the ‘FUNdamanetals of movement’ and developing hand eye coordination, individual skills and team cooperation. Each session has a particular focus whether it be batting, bowling, catching or throwing all of the elements of the sport are incorporated into all the sessions. The focus is always on fair play, fun and participation – ‘The Spirit of Cricket’. We do ask parents to stay onsite during the sessions and you are welcome to stay and watch the session.
Have a look at 2nd Innings session for Reception, Year 1 & Year 2 Kids
What to bring At The Sessions
Other than a drink, there is nothing special to bring or wear, whatever the kids are comfortable running around in. We are normally indoors but in the very unlikely event that the weather is absolutely perfect (usually only occasionally during the Summer Term only) the coaches may decide to go outside if the planned activities are appropriate. We will endeavour to contact you but please bring sunhats and cream if it’s looking sunny
How much is it?
The cost depends on which type of session you are booking and where the session is held. All sessions are payable in advance for a half or full term. Joining mid-term is not a problem if there is availability.
To maintain our strict low ratios of kids to coaches we are unable to offer free taster sessions. However, if after 2 weeks it isn’t working out for any reason we will refund the unused prepaid sessions, on the basis that the used sessions were at the standard per session rate (£9 for 1st Innings Sessions/£8 for 2nd Innings Sessions.
Nottinghamshire 1st Innings Sessions for Pre-Schoolers – from 2 1/2 years(smaller groups)
- Half Term/Part-term Bookings – £9 per session and £8.50 for younger siblings
- Full Term Bookings – £8 per session and £7.50 for younger siblings
Nottinghamshire 2nd Innings Sessions for Boys & Girls already at school up to & including Year 2 (slightly larger groups)
- Half Term/Part-Term Bookings – £8 per session and £7.50 for younger siblings
- Full Term Bookings- £7 per session and £6.50 for younger siblings
- All payments must be made in advance to Little Wickets (East Midlands) Ltd. Payment can be made by debit or credit card online, by BACS online or by Cheque. Card payments will incur an additional processing fee.
- The coaches cannot accept payment at the sessions.
- Discounted rates available for full term & younger sibling bookings, as above.
- Places are limited and must be pre-booked and pre-paid in advance. “Walk-up”/”Ad Hoc” attendance is not possible as it affects the strict coach:kid rations
- Current Litte Wicketers are given early booking priority for future terms.
- If space allows we can accept individually booked sessions during the term, just ask and we can advise you on availability.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the planned timetable goes ahead as published, Little Wickets reserves the right to cancel a block of or individual sessions if minimum numbers are not booked on or for any unforeseeable circumstance, in such circumstances a refund or credit will be offered to the maximum amount paid for that affected sessions(s)
- Little Wickets reserve the right to refuse any individual bookings
- Please refer to our Terms & Conditions for further information